Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Team building

Before I begin, a correction to my last post. My apologies to Aaron Elkins, whose book title I butchered. Not "Tiny Little Teeth", but "Little Tiny Teeth". I think. :) It is upstairs and I am too lazy to double check. I also apologize to all those Elkins fans who couldn't figure out what I was talking about! :)

I was talking to my parents this afternoon and they lamented that due to work schedules, the time difference, etc. the only way they knew what was going in my life was through my blog! Yikes. I better keep posting, then.

And since it is clear that Mom and Dad do indeed read this blog... I did not spend today sitting in the back row of the auditorium at telemetry class, being silly with my coworkers. :) We'll call it a team-building exercise. Actually, the class was mildly interesting. It was nice to have a refresher on some things. Although they did start at the very beginning. When the instructor began with "The heart has 4 chambers", I thought, "Oh dear." At the same moment, my friend Cher leaned over and said, "It's going to be a very long day." The material did get more exciting, particularly for me since I have my ACLS certification and was previously telemetry certified. I wowed the crowd by pointing out the proper atropine dosage for symptomatic bradycardia, according to the most recent ACLS guidelines, and by making the point that a dose of atropine is far less painful for the patient than transcutaneous pacing. Actually, I only pointed that out to my fellow UWMC 6NE crew in the back row... and half of them were asleep... so really I only wowed myself. And I am pretty easily impressed. :)

For our lunch break, I went with Cher, Ashley, and Abdul (all nurses from my floor) over to Northgate Mall. I might have been the first person ever to bring a bag lunch to the food court, but it was fun nevertheless. Actually, I really enjoyed hanging out with them outside the hospital. It was good to get to know them a bit better without the pressure of work. On the other hand, they did hear me singing along with the radio in the car. Hm. Maybe not such a good idea. But they were singing along, too, so it's ok, I think!

I managed to stay awake for the entire class (a major accomplishment), and we managed to capture cell phone pics of those colleagues who fell asleep... which made me glad I stayed awake. Not that we'd show them to Eric (our manager) or anything. Actually, I think he'd find them hilarious. :)

Time to go get cracking on cooking some dinner. Found some steak in my freezer, so I am looking forward to eating a home-cooked meal! Of course I have to cook it first...

1 comment:

He knows the plans He has for us said...

Singing in the car, eh? Well - perhaps we can get some of this recorded and release a sneak peek of the album on this blog! I know I speak for everyone of consequence when I say that we all look forward to hearing the lovely musical stylings of Miss Alison (with one L) Meneely. Oh - we also need to point out here - that Alison is a bright individual who was once telemetry certified. This deserves way more recognition than she humbly gave herself. So, Alison - here's to you!