Friday, January 25, 2008

KBSG

I miss the old KBSG. I grew up listening to Oldies 97.3 here in Seattle, and was sad to discover that the week I moved back they switched formats. Not entirely, mind you, but they added more from the 70s and even the 80s (shocking!). I was listening to KBSG in my car today, and was pleased to discover they hadn't totally gotten rid of the classics. Yes, it was car-karaoke with the Rascals, the Crystals, Gary Puckett & the Union Gap, and of course it wouldn't be Seattle without the Kingsmen! :-)

When I was in elementary and middle school, I wasn't allowed to listen to the popular music of the time. So my best friend Ingrid and I listened to KBSG and talked about the Beach Boys and Beatles like they were still the young heartthrobs they were for our parents! We knew all the words to pretty much all the songs. I still have the sudden urge to call the radio station every time I hear "Fun, Fun, Fun" or "Mustang Sally". Never won that car. But still always tried.

In 1995, when we moved to Philadelphia, I discovered that the "Oldies" were different. Way more R&B and Jersey Shore stuff, lots of doo-wop. Which was cool in itself. Learned a whole new set of songs! There are songs that I think are very specific to Philly/Jersey.... like a lot of Frankie Avalon, Frankie Valli, and well... let's just say there were a lot more guys named Frankie. And somehow Frank Sinatra always slipped in a bit, too!!

(As I write, I'm listening to WOGL... man, I can't believe I miss those Philly accents!! When did that happen? I am suddenly reminiscing about something I didn't like when I lived there... hm.)

I have added a bunch of the my favorites from the '50s- '70s onto my iPod. My current favorite is the Rascals' "Good Lovin'", which sounds amazing on the stereo system in my car. Even if it does remind me of an old Group Health commercial. And I found an old clip on YouTube, so I can share this amazing song with you all. The quality is horrible but the outfits are hilarious! :-)




Yes, I am a dork. But then again if you are reading this, you probably already knew that!!

No comments: