Monday, January 14, 2008

Randomness

I was watching "The View" this morning, and heard Whoopi Goldberg say something that gave me pause. (Literally. Thank goodness for Tivo, which allowed me to go back and replay what she said!) They were talking about people starting their lives over after a divorce, and here's what she said: "Until you learn to be by yourself, you're really not going to be much good to anybody else. Because if you are waiting for someone to make you whole... it's a mistake. You really have to have who you are. You have to say, 'this is who I am' and whether you or you or you can handle it, that's not my issue. I can handle it." Which I thought was pretty interesting. But then there was Elizabeth Hasselbeck's response, about getting to know yourself in a whole new way with your husband. It was a really interesting discussion, and captured my attention because I made the conscious decision to move to Seattle as a way of figuring out who I am, and to live on my own. Not that I didn't have an idea of who I am... just that I spent 6 very formative years of my life (18-24) dating one person, and pretty much defined myself by who I was with him. But living on my own, even though its only been a few months, has totally changed my perspective of myself. It's awesome!

Doing some laundry today. Definitely needed to be done. Last night I was wearing my last clean pair of socks, of which one has a big hole. And my toe kept poking through. The entire shift I kept having to fix my sock. Really annoying. :-) Why I never threw away that pair of socks is beyond me.

Just saw on the news that TO was crying. Haha. That makes me smile for some reason. Not that I am the biggest Eagles fan, but after 12 years in Philly (and 1 year working in South Philly), I guess I have picked up a bit of that Philly attitude! Which reminds me. There is an ICU nurse who I've run across several times at work... I don't know her name, but everytime she sees me, she uses a nickname she coined the first time we talked. Yes, she calls me "Philly". So she'll pass by the hall and shout out, "Yo, Philly! What's up?" in her Boston accent. Which cracks me up.

I wrote the other day about my adventures in cooking. Well, 2 nights ago I got home from work, exhausted (this was that horrible night I had) and starving. Too lazy to cook something to eat, so I decide to make some toast. And set off the smoke alarm at like 1:45 in the morning! I don't know what my problem is. The toast wasn't even burnt!

This is such a random blog. And to make it more random, here's a picture of Smokey I took the other day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find this very true - one must have their own life to add to another - and the two become one. Beautiful :) Sorry to hear about the burnt toast - I'm sure you will have much better luck next time! And speaking of.. I'm lucky :)