Thursday, January 17, 2008

Without ceasing

I've been praying a lot lately. It's a good thing, really. Just something that I realized this morning.... I've been spending quite of bit of time in prayer. Last night I did something that I can't remember ever doing. I was talking to a friend who's going through a rough time, and I found myself putting my hand on their shoulder and asking if I could take a moment to pray for them. I've mentioned before that I always feel self-conscious praying out loud in groups... last night I couldn't bring myself to do it aloud, but still. I know God hears prayers, even if I don't say the words out loud. I don't know what came over me, but I was literally compelled to pray with this person. It was an awesome feeling.

Then I did something else that I don't think I have ever done. I had been thinking about one of my favorite Psalms yesterday, and after praying with my friend I decided to share the passage with them. So I sat with them and read Psalm 91, with the prayer in my heart that it would be an encouragement. I won't post the entire Psalm here (go read it!!) but here is an excerpt I love:

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."

"'Because he loves me,' says the Lord, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."


Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 5, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Let that be our goal. :-)

~Alison

No comments: