Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolutions

We were talking at work the other day about New Year's resolutions. I don't really have any this year... I kind of made my resolutions last summer. New start and all that jazz. Besides, I like to look at it two ways. First, the big picture, beyond 2008. Last year I started a list of things I want to do before I turn 30. (Visit all 50 US states, climb the REI rock wall downtown, go back to visit Germany, find the man of my dreams, run a 5K, etc. etc.) It's a random list, and some of the items will require quite a bit of planning. And God's grace. But it's neat to look towards the future!

The other way I approach the whole resolution idea is that every day is a new one. Maybe it's because I'm a nurse and see everyday what kind of curveballs life can give you. I've written about this a lot lately, I guess. But I have been realizing that life is short, and every single day is a gift from God. So instead of procrastinating, my goal recently has been to live each day to the fullest. Of course, that doesn't mean that one should live recklessly... "for tomorrow we die". But my tendency has been to put off for tomorrow (or next month, or later this year) when I need to start doing today. New Year's resolutions usually last until what, February? March? But if you treat every day like the first day of a new year, then maybe something can be accomplished. At least thats my goal. :)

"This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

No comments: