Monday, January 7, 2008

Nothing Less

It's been a busy weekend! Worked Saturday night and was glad to finally have a day off today. Not that I had any big plans.... just slept in and hung out for a while. I was glad that I was able to go to church tonight-- I hate working on Sundays!

Mike gave a really good sermon, continuing the series on the life of Peter. Tonight was from Luke 22, where Peter denies Jesus at the trial, and the sermon was all about failure. The Holy Spirit works in amazing ways... tonight it was just what I needed. It really got me thinking about how sometimes we get over our heads in terms of sin. Lately I've been feeling like my struggle with sin has just left me feeling like a failure. Mike pointed out tonight in the sermon that failure is inevitable because Satan is involved... but that Satan answers to God. That really captured my attention because I hadn't really thought about it like that before. And the illustration of Jesus praying for Simon (not "Peter") is awesome: "But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." (verse 32) Can you imagine? Jesus praying, pleading... for me. Wow. And note that Jesus says "when you have turned back". Not if. When.

I won't attempt to recap the sermon any further for fear I will butcher it. But I like the idea of using your experiences to strengthen your brothers, once you've turned back. I only pray that my struggles can someday be used for the good of ministry! Mike mentioned Psalm 51 tonight... it had been a while since I read it, and as I looked at it during the Lord's Supper, David's prayer really became a prayer for me. I highly encourage you to check it out! :)

We sang a couple of great songs tonight, too, which I find the Holy Spirit often uses in my life. Tonight one of my favorite hymns really touched me:

His oath, His covenant, His blood, support me in the whelming flood. When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my Hope and Stay. On Christ the solid rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand.

It's late, so I better get to bed. Long work week ahead and all that. Sigh.

No comments: