Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Blog is Back!

I decided to bring the blog back! I never intended to abandon it so suddenly in August, but once Dad left for home, he took his laptop with internet access with him. And then by the time I got settled in my new place, life got busy and I forgot about the blog!! So I will attempt to do better this time. :)

For anyone who may be paying attention, yes, I am blogging in the middle of the night. I am currently working overnight shifts (7pm- 7:30am), which means that in order to sleep during the day I am often awake when the rest of the world is asleep. There's not much one can do at 3 am. I keep meaning to go to QFC at this hour since they are open 24 hrs and I am curious what it would be like. I suspect they are busy stocking shelves... I'll have to check it out sometime! In the meantime, I will continue my nighttime routine of TV watching (thanks to the magic of Tivo) and internet surfing. Luckily, only a few more weeks of night shift!

I suppose I should summarize the last few months since I packed up and moved to Seattle. I don't know where to begin, except to say that it was the best thing I ever did! Yes, it was hard at first, but I don't think there has been even a moment where I have regretted making the move. Dad had this plan (some of you may be familiar with it)... where I would arrive on Sunday, rent an apartment on Monday, get a job on Tuesday, and buy a car on Wednesday. We laughed about it, but it is pretty amazing how quickly things fell into place! I did have an apartment rented by the end of the first week, and I got a job at the UW Medical Center within the next 2 weeks. It wasn't until October that I was able to buy a car, but still, everything worked out really well. Looking back, it seems hard to believe it has only been 3 months since I moved here!!

I've settled back into the routine of being a Seattleite... drinking espresso, buying organic produce, recycling everything, wearing clothes from REI, complaining about traffic on I-5, and hiking on the weekends. It really feels like home, although I have to say that I have noticed a few things. First, I never knew there was a Northwest accent, but Dad and I immediately noticed it upon our arrival in August. And I read in the UW newsletter that they are actually doing research on the topic, which means that it is definitely real! Second thing I have noticed: Seattle is pretty casual, at least compared to the East Coast. Don't get me started on my opinion of wearing t-shirts and shorts to the theater!! (Ask Andy, he is my witness that we were the most overdressed people in the Spamalot audience! And we would have been considered pretty casual in Philly.) And the third observation? They can't forecast the weather here! I guess I got used to the 10-day forecast out east, where although it wasn't always right, at least it was pretty accurate for the first 5 days or so. Here they give the 3 day forecast, and even then it is basically a shot in the dark because of the mountains/water. Crazy! Also, they don't use the phrase "Wintry Mix" here to describe precipitation that falls when it is around 32 degrees. What's up with that? I used that phrase the other day when it was snowing/sleeting/raining, and people looked at me like I was from another planet! I said, nope, just Pennsylvania. :)

Still, all things considered, I love living in Seattle. It's good to be home.
















(I took this picture in September... is my city beautiful or what?)

No comments: