Friday, December 21, 2007

Traditions

When I moved to Seattle and into my own place, I started a little tradition. Every couple of weeks, I make a trip down to the Pike Place Market and buy myself some flowers. It started out when I got here and I didn't have a job yet and had a lot of free time in the evenings. The weather was gorgeous last September, and I often went out for a drive, just to appreciate the views. These trips were pretty aimless, just rolling down the windows and cranking up the radio and exploring my new home. I kept finding myself down at the waterfront, and would often run into the market just for a few minutes to take in the sights and smells... almost like I couldn't believe I actually lived here! I started buying flowers there because they were so beautiful and incredibly cheap, and somehow made my apartment look better even though I had no furniture. :)

I've managed to keep up the practice, although I did miss the last few weeks due to my night shifts at work. Earlier this week, though, I found myself in the car running errands and singing along with the radio, and suddenly realized that I was on the Ballard Bridge and headed downtown, without even meaning to. The market at Christmas is pretty and smells amazing (well, except for the fish!), and the musicians playing Christmas carols totally got me in the spirit of the season. I didn't think there would be any flowers to buy, but I was surprised to find a beautiful bouquet of pine boughs and dried eucalyptus and flowers for only a few dollars. It totally made my day!

It occurred to me that living on my own has been really good for me, even if it can be lonely sometimes. I like developing my own traditions while incorporating those of my family (ie. Christmas ships and eggnog lattes!). It's pretty neat.

Check out the amazing arrangement from the market:

1 comment:

Philip and Deb said...

Your market flowers look gorgeous...I am so jealous.