Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

March 17 has held some memories for me over the years. It seemed fitting that today was a day of change for me, and yet somehow, once again, it is on St. Patrick's Day! It was 14 years ago today that my family found out that we were leaving Seattle for destination unknown. I remember a particularly emotional dinner at Red Robin, where we were trying to figure out the next steps. Where would Dad find a job? We knew there weren't any opportunities in Seattle. For me and Andy, that was the only home we'd ever remembered, and the thought of leaving it, and all our friends and the life we had... well that thought was pretty scary. It's pretty amazing to look back and see how God has worked in our lives since that day!

The most obvious thing is that here I thought my life was over (yes, I was a dramatic 13 year old girl), and yet God has brought me full circle, back to Seattle. Strangely enough, looking back, I wouldn't want to trade my experiences for an alternate universe where I stayed in Seattle my whole life and never knew anything different. Moving was one of those hard life lessons that I needed, even if I didn't realize it at the time.

I mentioned earlier that today was a day of change for me. This afternoon, I went with my dad and transferred the title of my old car to him, so that this summer when my parents get a new car they can just go ahead and sell it. It was tough to transfer ownership of my first car. We'd been through a lot together, that '91 Eagle Summit and I. Yet at the same time, it was kind of freeing to give up ownership. After the auto tag place, Dad and I went out for cheesesteaks at Rittenhouse Deli. They'd remodeled, and it didn't look the same anymore. Which is ok. And the cheesesteak was good, but man... I've gotten used to my baby carrots and hummus in Seattle. I can feel my arteries clogging!

Then this afternoon I went to Wachovia and closed out all my bank accounts. There was no point in keeping them open... the nearest branch to Seattle is in California. Not exactly convenient. The woman at the bank kept trying to convince me to keep them open (it felt like that episode of "Friends" where the guys try to quit the gym, and then subsequently the bank... "I wanna quit the bank!"). I told her that I'd moved to Washington, and didn't need the accounts in PA. She asked me if I was sure the move was permanent. I think she was joking, but I paused for a moment, then said with absolute certainty that it was.

I feel as though today was the day I cut the last ties to Pennsylvania. Obviously, my parents still live here, and I will of course come visit, but I don't live here anymore. And it surprised me a bit to realize how tough it was. Yet at the same time, I feel this peace, a freedom. One chapter of my life has ended, and the new one is already well underway. It's not like a lot changed today, but some really symbolic things did.

Yesterday and today I've spent quite a bit of time cleaning out my closet and the huge number of boxes in the basement. Unfortunately, I spent 26 years (ok, maybe 25) being a packrat. I went through a bunch of stuff when I moved, but there was still a lot left. And since it has become blatantly clear that this is a permanent move out west, it was time to go through the rest of it. It's been a fun trip down memory lane, and an emotional one at times. I have laughed out loud at 10 years worth of letters from Ingrid and puzzled over why I kept certain things for this long. I cried over pictures of college friends I've lost touch with, and giggled over pictures of people I haven't. (Ahem, Ingrid... have I got some blackmail-worthy dirt on you!!) It's been good for me to look back and remember where I have come from, yet whereas before I have always gotten hung up on that stuff, now I am able to put it behind me and move on. I think I spent quite a bit of my life like Lot's wife, looking back and then pretty much being stuck like a pillar (if I can drag out the analogy a bit). It feel awesome to be able to get unstuck from that trap!!

Tons more to write about, but for now I will just post some pics from today!

Cheesesteak!

Trophies from my stellar career in youth athletics


My dad's new car. Haha. :)

Well, time to get back to work!

~Alison

No comments: