Friday, March 14, 2008

Back in the City of Brotherly Love

...and "sisterly affection". Haha, those who know me may know how incredibly obnoxious I find that phrase. I heard someone on the plane say that last night and I almost turned around and explained to them the Greek roots of the word "Philadelphia". Anyway.

I am exhausted. So I worked 3 twelve hour shifts after only one day off... then headed to the airport directly from work after the last shift. I was a bit early for my flight; made good time to SeaTac for some reason. No traffic, I guess. Got all checked in, hung out at Starbucks for a while, then eventually go through security and head to the gate. I am sitting at the gate, reading my book, when they announce that the flight has been delayed. Mind you, it is already 10 pm, and we were supposed to leave at 10:40! Apparently there was a mechanical problem with the first plane... something about a fuel cell. So we got a new plane and eventually left after midnight.

The flight was ok. Had a window seat, which was pretty cool because when we got up the high altitude the stars were amazing. Saw the Big Dipper and everything!! And it was neat to see all the lights of the different cities. Took a couple little naps, but couldn't really sleep even though I was so tired. The people behind me had apparently decided to spend the flight delay by drinking in excess, as they loudly were telling anyone who would listen. And the little kid next to me kept trying to sleep sideways in her seat and instead resulted in repeatedly kicking me! Her father was busy snoring loudly on the aisle, so he was no help. :-) It wasn't too bad, actually, because I was so incredibly tired that I just kind of zoned out for a while.

As the plane neared Philadelphia, I was struck by how brown and ugly everything was. Now I know it's March, but man, I've been spoiled by living in the Northwest! Furthermore, I had forgotten how industrial Philly is. Yuck. I pointed out to my parents on the ride home from the airport that I wasn't used to driving past all the concrete factories! Seriously.

It feels weird to be back in my parents' house, and not live here anymore. I keep waiting for Smokey to come bounding down the stairs! Of course, she's back at my apartment in Seattle, but for some reason I keep expecting to see her here. Strange.

Mom and Dad are off at work, and I'm catching up on The Daily Show. Might take a nap. Don't really have any big plans for today. Feels wonderful to be on vacation! Definitely need it after the last couple days of work. But I won't dwell on why I need some time off. Time to just enjoy it!

No comments: