Thursday, February 21, 2008

Taxes

They say that the only sure things in life are death and taxes. And since I seem to deal with the former on an unfortunately regular basis at work, I decided to try to tackle the latter on my day off yesterday. What an undertaking that turned out to be!

I knew that my federal taxes would be more complicated this year since I am deducting moving expenses, etc. So I thought that I would try to knock out my PA taxes first, since it would be easy and make me feel as though I accomplished something. Sounds reasonable, right? Wrong!

First, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania mailed me the wrong form. Upon first glance, it seemed appropriate, but only after several minutes of reading fine print do I realize that I can't use the one they sent me, because I was only a "part-year resident". OK, I can understand that they wouldn't necessarily know which form would be appropriate... except that they mailed it to a Washington state address. Hm. By definition, I can't use it, because I am not a PA resident anymore!! I think to myself, "Whatever, I will just follow the directions on the front cover of the booklet and go to their website for the most updated info." Eventually I navigate the website until I find the part about personal income tax. Then I click through the FAQs until I find exactly what I am looking for... info about what form to use if you are a part-year resident. Wonderful! Until I get to the part that says to refer to my 2004 return. What?! Why on earth would I need to refer that far back? Then I notice the last time the page was updated... 2003. So the "most up-to-date information" the Commonwealth can give me is nearly 5 years old?? Wow. I am reminded, again, about how happy I am to be a resident of Washington State now. (Or at least no longer a Pennsylvania resident!)

Once I found the proper form (which honestly wasn't much more complicated than the original form they sent), I found something that amused me immensely. Gotta love the legalese... so here's how they define my situation:

"A person who either moves into or outside of Pennsylvania with the bona fide intention of acquiring a new domicile is considered a part-year resident for the part of the taxable year that the individual maintains a permanent place of abode within Pennsylvania."
Haha. That sentence made me laugh!

So I gave up on my PA taxes for the time being. Who knew filing for a flat tax could be so complicated?! :-) Then I started on the federal ones using Tax Cut. Great software, walked me through all my deductions for moving expenses and charitable donations. I haven't officially filed yet as I need to double-check everything one more time, but it looks like I will be getting a sizable refund!!

Very exciting. Perhaps I will have to go out for a nice dinner or something with part of it. :-)

No comments: