Sunday, February 10, 2008

46 Inches of Pure Laziness

Once again, it's been a few days since I posted, and I don't really have any good excuses. Well, I have an excuse, just not a good one!

On Thursday I got my new TV! I spent the day in middle-America box store paradise, going from store to store comparing different models. By the end of the afternoon, I was feeling completely drained and overwhelmed with choices!! I finally made a decision, however. :-) Of course, in order to complete my mission, I had to (A) find a Circuit City that actually existed, (B) manage to get the TV home, and (C) figure out how to hook it up. Part C was pretty straight-forward, particularly because I don't yet have HD cable. B was a little interesting, considering the TV had to be removed from the box and transported in the back seat of the car, with one hand on it. (Sort of like that Seinfeld bit about the guy driving down the freeway with one hand on the mattress on the roof... like THAT is going to stop it from flying off!) In fact, the most difficult part of the process was Part A... finding a Circuit City. I had determined that CC had the best deal on the model I wanted, so I was locked into purchasing it there. I discovered that the Southcenter location is incredibly difficult to find, and that the Auburn location is now a housing development!! Luckily, the Bellevue location was, in fact, where it was supposed to be. And the salesman did make me feel better when he said that nobody can ever find the Southcenter store. :-)

I ended up with a 46" Samsung LCD, and I have to say, it is pretty awesome. No buyer's remorse yet, although it is a completely extravagant purchase. But I have justified it with the fact that I used my vacation time buyout from my last job to finance it. That job was awful... which makes buying a huge TV worth it, right??? :-)

Luckily, I had Friday off from work, which meant a Law and Order marathon on the Tivo, followed by "Austin Powers" on DVD. Yes, I have spent a lot of time on the couch this weekend!! I finally basted and starting hand-quiliting a wall quilt top I have had sitting in my guest room for months, however, so it wasn't a total waste of time. Just slightly unproductive.

Worked an 8 hr shift yesterday. Wasn't too bad... not like that crazy one I worked on Wednesday! This week I'm working Monday, Tuesday, and then not again until next Sunday. Gotta love the flexibility of 12 hr shifts!! I am trying to come up with an idea for something fun to do with my days off. I mean, 4 days off could mean a trip someplace! Or a lot of time in front of the TV. It's too bad it's February with all sorts of unpredictable weather... otherwise I would plan a day hike or something. I suppose I still could. Hm. It's an idea! Or perhaps if it is rainy (in Seattle, that would be a shocker, I know), I could finally get around to going to MOHAI or another museum on my list of things to do.

Well, better get back to the exciting world of laundry and apartment cleaning. Seattle is currently experiencing one of those infamous "sunbreaks" so I might even be motivated to go for a run. We'll see. :-)

1 comment:

Tim Meneely said...

I really like our Samsung 32" LCD HDTV - good choice of brand. I'm pretty sure we don't have a room in our house big enough to fit a 46", let alone justify it...

Two comments about HD:

1) Assuming you have regular cable, make sure you do a channel scan and take a look at any channels that show up looking like "75.2101." Cable companies normally transmit the local HD channels on all their packages - so you probably have a few HD channels and don't know it.

2) If you're feeling a little geeky and adventurous - go to Radio Shack and buy a cheap indoor UHF antenna - they sell one for about $10 which is a wire circle about 10" in diameter. Connect it to the antenna connection of your TV, which is more or less next to your cable connection. According to
http://www.antennaweb.org
(a very cool site) you should get six digital (typically HD) stations over the air with that. The clarity of over the air digital is startling - and it's kinda cool, bypassing the cable company. You might have to rotate the antenna a bit for different stations - but that's part of the fun. If you're not that adventurous, get your brother or some other geeky person to visit.
I think the one we have is
http://tinyurl.com/2ml5re

Anyway - HD is the way to be.
UT