Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Greatly Rejoice

I know what you're thinking... 2 posts in one day?! Alison must not have had to work!! :-)

Just got back from Bible study at the Dickersons. I'm really glad I went, even though those kind of social situations are pretty difficult for me sometimes. It's been too long since I went to a Bible study, honestly. So I'm glad that I was talked into going. Continued through 1 Peter chapter 1... I spent some time contemplating the passage (verses 6-12) today, which made this evening even better, because I'd already started wrestling with it. I wish I had the confidence to speak up more. I was proud of myself for sharing some thoughts, but I was convinced that everyone could hear my voice shaking. Sigh. I guess the only way to get better at that is to practice. I was early tonight, so I spent some time praying in my car before I went in, which definitely helped.

On the way over there, I also swung past the old house, since I had time. Somehow I couldn't be so close and not drive past it. I could see a bit more inside tonight since they had a bunch of lights on... looks like Andy's old bedroom door is now blue! Looking at the house reminded me that time marches on. Things change. And yet, over at the Dickersons, singing songs in their living room and having fellowship with the folks from Hope, I realized that even though some things are different, there are other things that endure. Have I mentioned how glad I am that I went tonight? :-) I admit it, I wasn't exactly looking forward to it. But now I am excited for next week!

This afternoon I decided to go for a drive. I ended up at Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill... I don't think I've ever been there. Or at least if I have, it's been at least 15 years and I have no recollection of it! Just took some pictures (of course) and wandered around. Hiked up the stairs in the water tower to get that famously spectacular view of downtown. It was nice, but I definitely like Kerry Park better. After that, I just drove aimlessly through Capitol Hill, then through the U District, Wallingford, Fremont, Greenlake, and then up Aurora to Shoreline. Randomly stopped at Big Lots since I have such fond memories of shopping at Big Lots in Ohio and NC with Andy. Although I realized that the fun was really shopping with Andy, not the establishment itself!! Oh well. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon. Check out the pics I took today at: http://picasaweb.google.com/AlisonMeneely/February2008

Still trying to decide what to do with myself tomorrow. Tonight we were talking about trials and going through rough times, and how to rejoice in those times. Mike had asked us to think about something to be joyful about in the last 3 days... all I could think of was putting that 28 year old girl in a body bag. How can I muster up the energy to be joyful after that kind of experience? Through Him who gives me strength, that's the only way. Praise the Lord that He gives us strength and courage. And that He answers prayer. :-)

No comments: