Thursday, June 12, 2008

Who's First?

Man, I need a new picture at the top of my blog!

Tonight's been an interesting night for me. They say God works in mysterious ways, but sometimes it is just amazing how things work out. I was sitting on my couch in my pjs, feeling sorry for myself... and a friend showed up at my door in a moment of need at around midnight. Obviously I won't violate her privacy, but it gave me an opportunity to minister to somebody in a way I'm not sure I've ever been able to do before. Some of the very things I was sitting there contemplating... well, I was able to share with her what I was thinking about. Which was awesome. As I am looking back over the last 24 hours, God has really been working in my heart and bringing some things to the forefront. Not everything is warm and fuzzy; rather, some of it is really tough... but necessary. The bottom line? God needs to be first in all our lives. Absolutely #1. Even before ourselves, which is the really hard part!

MercyMe has this song that I used to play all the time, "So Long Self". One of the lines popped into my head tonight: "Believe it or not, life is not apparently about me anyways." It's an ongoing revelation, I think... it really isn't about ME. It needs to be about Him.

I was reminded of a verse this evening, and it might seem trite because it is oft-quoted, but I don't mean it to be that way. Proverbs 3: Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways, acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. My paths could definitely be straighter. And it doesn't say, "with some of your heart" or "many of your ways". Nope. ALL.

That's the hard part. Sigh.

No comments: