Monday, June 2, 2008

Run, Alison, Run!

At the moment, I am very red-faced and sweaty, and feel a bit nauseated. But it's actually a good thing. Just got back from running! Yes, it has been a while... don't think that I have been running all this time and just not blogging about it. I hate running enough that I feel the need to mention it in my blog every time I do it!! :) So if I haven't mentioned it... haven't been doing it.

Yesterday was the first time in at least a month that I went running. I've exercised, sure... gone for walks or done my favorite workout DVD (learned my lesson about kickboxing when angry and was sore for several days!). But yesterday was the first time I actually put on my running shoes and ran. Might not have done it if it weren't for a friend who pushed me to come along and go for a trail run at Carkeek... note to self... pick running partners who are NOT former cross-country champs. Yikes. Honestly, I didn't make it very far yesterday. I will blame it on the hills. And all that fresh Northwest air. Too many pine needles underfoot. Or... uh... maybe I am just really out of shape. :) But it was good to get out there.

Thus encouraged, I decided to venture out and run again today. I've been rather panicked this weekend as it occurred to me that it is now June, and the Seafair race is only 54 days away. Less than 2 months until I need to be able to run 8K!! I was doing pretty good for a while in terms of building up my running ability. But man, I feel like I am back at square one. Today I set my goal to run 2 miles... something I was able to do a couple of months ago. I mapped out my route, laced up my shoes, cranked up the iPod, stretched (never cold, as I've been taught!) and was off. It started out great. Then I was reminded how hilly Seattle is! I won't lie. I did not run the full 2 miles. I walked about 13 blocks in the middle of it (however far that is). Definitely set the bar a little high for today. Pushed myself to the point where I realized that I was about a mile from home and I thought I might collapse! Luckily I did not, nor did I throw up like I felt like I might. (OK, I know, I know, TMI.)

Yet even though I've been home a few minutes and my lungs are still ON FIRE, I feel pretty good. Because that was farther than I've run the last 3 weeks... combined. :)

Not only was I encouraged my trail run/walk yesterday and my attempt at running today, but I also had a really exciting moment yesterday at church. Someone who hadn't seen me in like 2 months came up and whispered to me... and asked whether I'd lost weight while they were out of the country. It caught me off guard and totally made my day. :) I have been very discouraged lately and frustrated with myself about my weight, and it was nice to have someone randomly point out how far I've come. Just what I needed.

Well, I should go take a shower and do some errands. It's amazing... I've had the last 3 days off from work, and I still have the longest list of things to accomplish. It's neverending!

No comments: