Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Education Day

I got home from work a few minutes ago... I know, shocking, right? Getting home from work a bit after 5 pm?! But today was one of our twice-annual "education days" for the floor I work on. Basically, they gather up a room full of nurses from our floor (there are a couple days, since obviously you can't have everyone at once, haha!), and cover a wide variety of topics that we apparently need to be educated on.... for 8 hours.

It wasn't too bad, actually, since the topics were widely varied... from a "Jeopardy"-style game about the new computer system, to a couple of speakers on different topics (heparin drips! palliative care!), to hands-on demos/playing with equipment, it was fairly interesting. One of the first things we did was to get inserviced on the new ceiling-mounted lifts that are being installed... yes, to lift heavy and/or immobile people. Which meant that we were lifting each other with slings and machinery. Think cross between teambuilding and uh, hazing. Haha! :) It was fun, believe it or not. I usually am very self-conscious about that kind of physical stuff but it worked out ok. Lots of laughs! I mean, when there is a piece of material called a "dignity strap" whose entire purpose is to keep a person's legs together when lifting them... come on! Like a joke waiting to happen! :) Good times. And a nice break from the stress of working on the floor.

This is gonna be a quick post... I think I am going to take a little nap for a bit. Working tomorrow night, so I need to stay up all night tonight... which at the moment is going to be impossible as I am exhausted. I woke up this morning at 5 am! I had this nightmare and woke up with a start (don't you hate it when that happens!! Second time this week for me.) and then couldn't get back to sleep. Wide awake, nearly an hour and 45 minutes early. Sigh. It worked out though. Spent some time reading my Bible and over an hour praying! It was pretty crazy to glance at the clock when I was done and realize a whole hour went by. I never blog about this stuff, and maybe I shouldn't... but it kinda shaped my day, so I figured I better mention it.

Speaking of things I should mention... I ran 2 miles yesterday! I mentioned earlier this week that if I didn't blog about it, chances are that I didn't do it... so I figured I better blog it, in order to make it real! :)

OK, time to get some ibuprofen for my pounding headache. Sigh. Too much coffee, not enough sleep. :)

No comments: