Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One Moment at a Time

I'm not sure what to write tonight. Not feeling like I am really in a blogging mood, but yet still want to write something. Worked a 12 today... not too bad, but like I said yesterday, I've become rather apathetic. Not bad, but not great either. Today at work the nurses' union was picketing outside the hospital. My coworkers all went down on their breaks to join the picket line, but I managed to skip it. I'm not in the union, but I'm covered by the collective bargaining agreement, so the contract negotiations affect me as much as anyone, but I don't know. I did learn more about them, thanks to the flyers I was handed as I crossed the picket line to come in to work. Apparently there are lots of issues at stake but the one that caught my eye was that nurses at our hospital are paid 8% less than other RNs at comparable hospitals in the area. With no pay raises planned beyond the state employee's 2%. Wow. Interesting. It was pretty awkward when my patients were asking about it, as they each had windows that overlooked the picketers. Hopefully they will be able to work something out before the current contract is up.

Aside from that, not much else going on. Tonight I'm really struggling to stay positive and hopeful... and I know that it is made much worse by the fact that I am tired. My current Facebook status says that I am taking it one day at a time, and that's pretty accurate. Today's been a long day, and I am not convinced that the next few will be any easier or shorter. Sigh.

I've noticed that I can start a day really in a good place, having spent time with God. This morning I was singing along with the Christian worship songs on the radio on the way to work! And I felt like I was trusting Him with everything, without worry. But now, at this moment? I am a little more shaky. I know that I have to trust Him, because I can't make it on my own... it's just tough sometimes. My heart is aching. :(

Well, I better get to bed soon... another long shift tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow's post will be a bit more positive-- this one was kind of a downer. Not intentional, just a reflection of my mood, I guess.

1 comment:

Philip and Deb said...

I am very impressed with your cleaning efforts, Alison...good for you. Sorry you had to deal with the picket line issue, as if work isn't hard enough.
Love,Mom