Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And September Begins...

So I have been pretty awful about blogging lately. Seriously. It's one of those things that gets marginalized to the bottom of my to-do list until I forget completely!

This weekend, I worked on Saturday and Sunday... no long weekend for me! But of course, my work schedule is pretty wacky anyway, so I end up with random numbers of days off at any given time. I actually have a three day weekend coming up this weekend... Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. Whoo-hoo! As you might be able to tell, my job is stressing me out. This always happens. I have a couple of bad shifts where I get all stressed, and then a few okay ones where I think its not so bad, but then wham! I get slammed again. This weekend wasn't as bad as it could have been, and certainly not the worst that I have had, but I think the thing that gets me is that my method of gauging each shift is "how BAD was it?". What does that tell you?

There's a difference between loving your job and not hating it. Or only sometimes hating it. I seem to be in the latter mood tonight. I mean, I am sitting at home and already am feeling anxiety over having to go to work tomorrow! And looking ahead to reassure myself, okay, there are only 2 shifts to get through before you are off again. Sigh. Probably not the best way to live one's life, but that's where I'm at right now.

I have found that the best way to deal with the stress of work is to have really enjoyable days off, and to make sure that the time off is what I focus on. To quote one of my coworker's oft-spoken phrase: "Work to live, don't live to work!" And so that has been my goal. Yesterday I had a really good day with a friend... even though things didn't exactly go as planned, we had the opportunity to spend lots of time talking and having meaningful conversations... as well as completely silly fun, too. It was the kind of day that makes the rest of life worth living. :)

Today has been pretty boring. I decided this morning that it would be a really good idea to completely empty my bedroom closet of all of its contents. And then sort through them. Of course, my enthusiasm waned as the project dragged on, but my closet is amazingly clean now. The bedroom is slightly messier, though, as there are some things I hauled out but don't feel like dealing with! But it was nice to do some "fall cleaning". I decided that since I have lived here a year, if there is an item that I have not used since I moved, then I need to get rid of it. Which is tough sometimes when I think about the time/money/effort spent to move it all the way here! But in the end I think it is more beneficial to just chuck these things.

The one neat thing is that my stacks of clothes that need to go to the Goodwill are now huge towers! It's sad when there are pretty new-ish clothes (and especially scrubs) that I have to get rid of because they don't fit, but on the other hand, I don't ever want to be those sizes again. It was good for my ego today to try on some clothes that a year ago I wore regularly, and now they look absolutely ridiculous because they are so huge!

I also finally rustled up the courage to call Comcast to try to get cable cards for my new Tivo (so I can use it!!). Sadly, the guy on the phone was a total loser and sent me on a wild goose chase to the Comcast counter at Best Buy. Luckily, the manager at BB was way more helpful and told me exactly what I needed to do... of course, at that point it was 6 pm and the Comcast store on Aurora was closed, so it will have to wait until Friday. But the good news is that the Comcast website is wrong, and I can indeed install them myself! Yay! Just not until later...

Not too much else going on... my daily life is pretty boring. I've been reading some books on Christian womanhood (or whatever you want to call it), and that's been good. The other night I couldn't sleep and spent a lot of time in prayer and reading my Bible, which was also good. I have spent quite a bit of time in prayer lately, come to think of it. Which is wonderful. I just wish it wasn't hard times that have driven me into that mode. :( I'm trying to be patient, to avoid resentment and anger, and I'm praying that God will provide wisdom and direction. One day at a time. That's about all I can do right now.

No comments: