Monday, July 21, 2008

That'll do.

I've been meaning to write for a couple of days, but somehow blogging often gets pushed to the bottom of the to-do list! I'm in the middle of a big stretch of days working... I did 2 twelves over the weekend, then had today off. I'm working 32 hours over the next three days... but then... I'm on vacation!! 15 days off from work. In a row. Wow. I am thrilled! Of course, I am using 72 hours of vacation/holiday time to do that, but it will be worth it. (Now I need to do the math and figure out how much vacation time I have left! And whether there is any holiday time left... because they pay out any remaining time in September. Which could mean an extra little bonus in my paycheck!)

So I'm trying to focus on the time off coming up, rather than how I am not quite halfway through a stretch of working 56 hrs in 5 days! And thinking about how a week from now, I'll be in the UK with my family!

I'm also trying to remain optimistic about Saturday... yes, the Seafair Torchlight 5K is only 4 days away!! I went running today for the first time in more than a few days. I managed to complete 5K (3.1 miles) in 35 minutes! It's not Olympics-worthy (haha!) but it is my best time yet. Honestly, I've been so focused on being able to run that far that I haven't really worried about my times! But it would be nice not to be the last one. :) I'm trying to figure out logistics, including how I should train this week since I am working the next 3 days, and then am not sure if I should run the day before (maybe just a mile or two?). Also, the most important piece of all... the pasta party! I have heard of this runners' phenomenon for years... pasta party to carb load before a big race, and have always thought it sounded like a blast (only without the big race afterwards!). But since the 5K starts at 6 pm... do you carb load at breakfast? The night before seems too early. Anyway, these are the things that I worry about! :)

Aside from running, I didn't do much else exciting today. Lots of laundry and cleaning the house and stuff. I made lasanga from scratch and had a friend over for dinner, which was awesome. After dinner, we were randomly quoting from the book/ movie "Babe"... "That'll do, pig. That'll do." Hahaha! I don't know why that strikes me as so hilarious, but it does. :) Sometimes, silliness is exactly what the soul needs!

All in all, it was a good day.

~Alison

P.S. I opened my big mouth and blabbed this at work over the weekend, so I guess I better mention it here (for all my loyal readers, haha!). As of last week, I have officially lost 50 pounds! In less than 10 months. :) At this rate, it will only take me like 3 months more to lose the remaining 15... sigh. My goal is to have lost 65 lbs by my brother's wedding in December. (You may notice I have picked a very long time period, so as to give me some wiggle room. Haha!) Hopefully, I will be able to do it!!

2 comments:

Philip and Deb said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It's great to hear you crossed the 50 lb mark. You forgot to mention it on our Skype call yesterday...we won't recognize you next week.
--Mom

Phil Meneely said...

That is great, Alison! Congratulations on your self-control and weight loss. Good luck with the run-- I am sure you won't be the last. See you next week.

Dad