Friday, April 24, 2009

Teaching Moments

So yesterday I completely rambled about a random topic that was probably of little interest to anyone. (Although I have to say that I suspect that most of my blog posts fall into that category!) Tonight I feel like I need to write something a little less, well, strange.

I've been precepting a new nurse at work for the last month or so. We have had our good moments and also our share of more frustrating moments (on both sides, I'm sure). I found out tonight that we get to have a few more shifts together next week, which makes me really happy. I like teaching, even though it can be really tough sometimes! We have had our share of hard shifts lately, which only makes the learning process harder.

When I first started orienting folks, I was a little bit in disbelief that I, of all people, would be the one to do training. I mean, what sort of wisdom do I have to impart?! And yet I realized that even though I might still feel inexperienced, I certainly have more experience than someone who just graduated and has maybe only a few shifts under their belt. God has really provided this as opportunity to teach ME some valuable lessons. Sometimes, it might be a boost to my confidence level, when I discover that someone is turning to me for advice or my opinion. Or it might be a humility thing... a reality check that I do not have all the answers (like when a student or new nurse asks a great question or points out my error). Often, it is that working with someone else forces me to step back and analyze or to view a situation with a new perspective. And I love that. Even when it kicks me in the butt. :) That is precisely the reason I work at a teaching hospital!!

One of the my pet peeves, though, is when other staff get this idea that perhaps a nurse preceptor "isn't working" or that they are just sitting around and supervising. True, that occasionally happens when the new nurse is at the end of their orientation. But I have always taken that opportunity to help out other nurses that are swamped or to restock the supplies or answer the phones or whatever might need to be done. That's just me, though. Anyway.

We have had some tough shifts lately, even for me. I can only imagine what it has been like for my preceptee!! This past week was the first time I ever busted open a code cart for one of my patients. Talk about nerve-wracking. There is this little plastic "lock" on the carts when they are stocked (so that once it is open, a whole new one can be put in its place... so you are never without supplies)... and never before have I had to break that seal. It sounds silly. I have been to lots of codes and rapid responses. (OK, maybe not "a lot". But my fair share.) But this week I was in a situation with my orientee and one of our patients, where he just started crashing. The stat nurse was already there, and the docs were quick on the scene. Before I knew it, they were intubating the guy, and soon we were transporting him to the ICU while he was being bagged. Craziness!

Here's the thing, though. This was the first time I have been in one of these situations where my legs weren't shaking. Usually, that adrenaline starts pumping and my legs start to shake (honest to goodness moving) and I can't think straight because I get so overwhelmed. Sure, I felt that level of anxiety to a certain degree this time, but yet I realized later that not only did I stay calm, but I actually did the right things. Piped up when it was appropriate. Took charge with certain things. In short, was an asset rather than a liability (or maybe more accurately, a neutral party). It might sound arrogant. But I was really proud of myself. Honestly. I felt like I had made a difference. And hopefully taught something to that new nurse.

2 comments:

He knows the plans He has for us said...

This was great, hon. You are an amazing teacher and I'm so happy that you see God in all of this as well. And as far as staying calm and doing the right thing - it shows your training has paid off. Your mind doesn't have time to take over - to doubt yourself. Your body just does what it knows now, naturally :) That should be a huge boost for ya! Proud of you babe - I couldn't do your job - you're amazing :)

Phil Meneely said...

I am sure you are a great teacher. The secret of teaching, as you discovered, is that you learn so much from those you are teaching. Being a teacher means being a learner.